- Learn to express your feelings through three loving attitudes: warmth, empathy and sincerity.
- Warmth – the quality of being intimate and attached;
- Empathy – the ability to understand and identify with a person’s feelings;
- Sincerity - showing a genuine concern for a person without changing your attitude toward him/her when the circumstances change
- Learn to share your feelings, when angry or irritated, without using “you” statements; instead replace them with “I” statements.
- Learn to wait until your anger or feelings of irritability have subsided before you begin to discuss a sensitive issue.
Three Steps to Increase PLAY Into Your Life!
Step 1: Identify how you currently PLAY and how much fun you have in your lifeA. What does play mean to you? How do you know when you are having fun? B. What barriers keep you from play? Do you have any believes that prevent you from having fun? C. How can you change these blocking beliefs or barriers into strategies to play?
Step 2: Identify your personal definition of PLAYA. What are your interests? Complete the PLAY checklist of possible interests/activities. B. Are there activities that you used to do that you haven’t participated in recently? C. Is there an interest that you have – something you have always wanted to do or try – that you have been putting off?
Step 3: Develop your personal plan for PLAYA. “Do one thing every day that you love!” B. Make a list of at least 30 fun, PLAY activities. C. Schedule at least one FUN activity each week – put it in your calendar, call your friend, MAKE PLANS! D. Make a personal commitment to yourself to plan to PLAY! Remembering the benefits outweigh the cost. So, do something FUN today... let me know what you have decided to do! ENJOY!
- you have lost your cars keys more than once in the last 10mins.
- you don’t have to buy and write out Christmas cards this year…because you just found last year’s stamped and ready to mail…in the trunk.
- you can’t remember what you got up for until you sit down again.
- you spend two hours making a complicated list with flow charts and footnotes which organizes your next week, including meal planning and budget… and loose the only copy
I offer caring, professional and confidential counseling services for preschool children, school aged children, teens and adults. I believe that people can grow and/or heal when provided with the support, encouragement and tools needed to make changes and/or cope with life stress or losses. I am invested and motivated to assist individuals with instilling hope for improving their life.
I have worked in the mental/behavioral health care fields for over 20 years in a variety of clinical settings with much of my experience focusing on coping skills, expressive art, play, recreation, health and wellness. I earned my Bachelors Degree in Education from the University of Kansas in 1989 and my Masters in Counseling from Webster University in 2000. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor in Missouri, as well as a Nationally Certified Counselor. I am also a member of American Counseling Association.
I utilize person-centered therapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, EMDR, play therapy, expressive art, and supportive therapy. My practice focuses on issues related to anxiety, depression, trauma, ADHD, developmental disorders, eating disorders, behavior problems, stress, infertility/adoption, grief and loss, learning difficulties and family issues (including divorce and blended families).